A Zero on a Hero: "Making the initial turns"

My Partner for the historic event
Hero Honda Splendor Pro
97 cc
Owner: My Friend Abhisekh's Dad  

Never in my astronomically small mind I could have imagined that I would be making a post on my Biking experience. Just few days back I was chatting with a friend regarding my Zero Experience on Bikes and here I am writing a brand new post of my first hand experience on a Hero Honda Splendor (Pro). Perhaps, this is what life is..You never know what's Next? (A perfect answer to Samsung Mobile's evergreen Question "Whats Next?").

From Kolkata to Adra, the transition takes 5 hours of train journey and to overcome those 300 minutes of boredom you need inspirations. Here I am talking about family and Childhood friends whom I could only patch up with in my Hometown Adra. No studies, no Projects, No nothing except for Full time Masti.

Sunday, 15th April, 6:30 PM, as a part of my daily routine at my Hometown, went to our common place for Adda (Gossping), met my friends, and shared our experiences. Meanwhile, I noticed Abhisekh bringing a bike while we were on our so called "Bayis Inchies" (22 Inches - alternate name for Bicycles used by us ). I acknowledged him on the same and said jokingly "Chalane me Maza ayega..Sikha de na?". To my amazement, he replied positively and was ready to give me first lessons instantly. Watching the weather and the darkness, we planned to postpone the learning tutorials till the next morning. 

Monday, 16th April, 11:45 AM, Reached our Adda Place along with my friends. I along with Mahatab(another childhood friend), were left alone by Abhisekh who was busy paying his 200% attention to another person, who was of the opposite sex (lets not stretch that further else I will be KO'ed by him). Almost 3 Hours of my ever so precious time was spent with Mahatab talking utter craps about life and all that stuff. At around 2:30 PM he got a call from his father, shouting on him(Mahatab) over the phone, ( I realized that through his expression only), ordering him to come home immediately. Meanwhile at the same time, Abhishek's deadlock with that Lady finally broke and he came to the fray. Much to his disappointment, we called it a day and were wrapping up for our homes. While we(me and Mahatab) gathered with our "22 Inchies", and Abhisekh with his Splender Pro, Abhisekh offered me a quick lesson and I could not reject the lucrative proposal. On my left hand side, Abhisekh gave me some quick knowledge cookies while on my right side, Mahatab was visibly looking drowned in the oceans of anger, or call it the fear of getting busted by his father :). 
The very first day of Training

Clutch, Accelerator, Break I heard in an advert but never actually realized what all these things really meant. Abhisekh's knowledge cookies almost cleared all my doubts. 

"The funny side was that while he was giving me tips on How to start the bike I was more concerned of How to Stop it? "




Induction motor..3 Idiots..Remember anything?

Since I had the facility of auto-start in my hand, I utilised it to perform the ever so famous sound of Bikes you see in Movies with the celebrities pushing the accelerator to create the sound. You remember that sound? Yes.. the same sound that Raju Rastogi(Sharman Joshi) produced when his professor Virus(Boman Irani) asked him how a Induction Motor Starts.


Brrroooom Broooom Brrrrrrrooooooooooom!!

As I tried to implement the lessons taught by Abhisekh, Mahatab's face was becoming steaming hot. The toughest lesson was to make the Bike move and thats where I faltered at first, finding it tough to synchronize the Clutch and Accelerator combo. Took me around a whopping 15 attempts to make it start with Abhisekh also getting frustrated sitting at my back. The next problem was shifting from 1st to 2nd gear and that caused a bit of panic too as I had my share of problems with the clutch. Nevertheless, as the time progressed I adjusted myself to the conditions, not like Sehwag but more like Dravid, taking my time. The road was beautiful with great visuals on my both sides in the officers colony, garnished with green trees making it look heavenly. As the path was all clear and no signs of any incoming traffic, Abhisekh asked me to shift the gear and press the accelerator thereafter, I did the same (bit hesitatingly though) touching the 45Kph mark much to my delight. I also had one doubt cleared off my mind,


"its weight is not felt when you are on it, you just feel flying."


While I was riding, my devilish mind was flying somewhere else and that needed to be sorted out since, once you are on the ride your dedication and concentration must not be compromised in any way. With your mind strangled on 4 things already: Gear, Clutch, Accelerator and Brake, one cannot even think of doing something else, let alone thinking. My coach sitting at the back kept inspiring me with his pep talks.

Given the circumstances I was in I could have made a dictionary within my freaking little mind. They were like those Meta tags which defines your site to search engines and all. Some of those keywords that were rounding my head were like:

Speed, Control, Brakes, Feel, Fun, Comfort, ACCIDENT, Wind, TRAFFIC, BUMPERS, Dream, Heaven....


So much sinusoidal was my thinking that I found it hard to decide, whether to laugh in joy or cry in fear. But as the hands of my Sonata Wrist Watch tic-tac-toed I felt more comfortable and was feeling a great sigh of satisfaction.
Posing for the camera's before day 2 of training with the lush green conditions

Thanks to Abhisekh I had some more practice sessions in the next two days of my stay at Adra. Clutch-Accelerator combo improved by leaps and bounds for me. Despite that some friends feared to take a trip with me, as was the case with Raj(yes, another friend). When I offered him a seat, he chose not to much to my disappointment. So much was his fear that while waiting for me to comeback along with Abhisekh after the practice session, that he got off the road several times thinking that Debraj Is Coming..Stay aside.

Chabilal (Ah..Friend Count= Friend Count + 1), was kind enough to take the back seat but at the same time he asked something..

Chabi: Chala Ata Hai na Bhai? (Bro You know to ride?)
Debraj(Me): Bas Naya Naya sikhe hai. Bas ek dikkat hai, samne koi achanak se aa jaye to brakes ka koi bharosa nahi. (If someone comes suddenly, I might panic to apply the brakes correctly).
Chabi: Baapre, ek kaam kar, maximum 2nd gear me chalana (OMG..Do one thing. Don't push it ahead of the 2nd Gear).
Debraj(Me): Chal Dekhte Hai (Lets see...i replied with a naughty smile)

The small session also went well and Chabilal was more or less impressed by my skills. Oh, and I did cross the 2nd gear though.. :) :).

Abhisekh was rewarded only with a 200ml Soft Drinks on the very last day of my stay at my hometown Adra , for his tutorial classes. Perhaps, too less, but nevertheless, he was happy with it and so was I not to lash out a hefty sum from my ever so light purse.

The experience was of life time validity. Thanks to Abhisekh for giving me the opportunity. Only practice can make a man perfect (same implies for a woman too...). To wrap things up, I would end up with a small but beautiful quote, summarizing my experience..

"Experience is an arch, to build upon."
Share on Google Plus

About Debraj Banerjee

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment